Thursday, October 2, 2008

Twisted Tea Possibilities



Photography by David Robert Crews

I had been asked by one of my nephews to come to the race just to shoot photos of his friend Harry's Twisted Tea themed racing mower along with Harry and his wife posing in their Twisted Tea clothing, so that the photos could be submitted for use by Twisted Tea on their bottle labels. But then it was such a wonderful, family oriented event that I went all the way with it and shot it as if I had been hired to do a magazine article about the race.

I used my nephew's old style, inexpensive, "point and shoot" 35mm film camera for the job, not nice, new, expensive digital photographic gear (of which I have none). But the resulting selection of photographs on here are sure as heck a fairly professional looking lot.

On that race day in Edgemere, the sun was about as bright and harshly beaming down as it ever is here in central Maryland; and the bright, harsh sunlight really made some of the photos look all washed out. Consequently, while preparing the photos for publication on this site, I did my best to utilize my severely limited digital Photoshop skills to make the photos look their best and to have the Twisted Tea logos on Harry and his wife's hats and Harry's t-shirt and on his mower stand out better; but I need some Photoshop coaching or other type help to be able to bring these logos out better. There are also some shots on this site of other racing mowers, with Twisted Tea written on them, that need to be 'punched up' a bit. I used to do this kind of custom photographic work in the old "wet lab" photo lab I worked in at our local community college, but that lab -- and other non-digital photography -- is no longer offered at the school. I am certain that a few of the photos on this site would look a bit better if I were as highly skilled and talented at presenting them in digital format as I am at the old style of printing photos on paper in a "wet lab". But, alas, the digital revolution in photography has taken over, and I gotta catch up somehow.

I am quite pleased, though, with the overall results of my photographic work that is presented here on this blog/poor man's web site of mine. Plus, it was a great day for me being there with the family-centric, relaxed and easy-going lawn mower racing crowd. This is why it all took off -- basically 'under its own steam' -- to become this web site that I created about it. AND! I have thoroughly enjoyed every moment and aspect of the work.

No comments: